Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure medically referred to as augmentation mammaplasty. It is carried out by an experienced plastic surgeon with the purpose of placing breast implants . This is done to increase the fullness of a woman’s breasts and to improve their symmetry. The procedure also restores the volume of breasts lost after weight reduction or post pregnancy. Some breast cancer victims undergo the breast augmentation procedure if they are eligible instead of flap reconstruction as it requires less surgery.
Breast Augmentation Birmingham AL – Getting Ready for Surgery
If you are considering breast augmentation surgery here are some of the pros and cons you should consider:
- long term solution to achieve an ideal figure
- can be removed easily
- youthful appearance
- restores symmetry
- boosts self confidence
- implants require monitoring
- will eventually have to be replaced
- cannot replace breasts that droop severely
Tips to Prepare for Procedure
1. Have a family member or friend for support during and after surgery. They will need to be able to drive you home.
2. If you have young children, have another family member or trusted neighbor care for them.
3. Reduce strenuous or stressful activities a few days before the surgery. Remember to relax.
4. Make a list of what you need to bring to the procedure.
5. Avoid smoking.
6. You will need to discuss with your doctor when to resume activities like driving, house chores, smoking and sex beforehand.
7. Discuss the medication you will be prescribed with your doctor beforehand.
8. Inform your doctor of medications you are taking as well as supplements and vitamins.
9. Eat healthy and stop drinking alcohol a few days before breast surgery.
Night before surgery
Shower with an anti-microbial soap in order to eliminate germs especially around the breast area.
Avoid wearing makeup, moisturizers, oils, creams or lotions.
Remove any nail polish
Don’t drink water or consume food after midnight.
Morning of procedure
Wear loose fitting clothes and comfortable shoes that you can slip into.
Call Cotter Plastic Surgery to schedule an appointment (205) 664-4630.